Essentia Energie Opus and Classic 8 Ratings
- Motion Isolation
The Essentia Mattresses are a much needed innovation in the industry, bringing together great technology, comfort and natural materials at a price usually reserved for medium quality products.
- Natural latex memory foam, no fumes
- Air flow provides a cool mattress
- Very good lifespan
- Cost is way above average for memory foam mattresses
- Other mattresses have higher user ratings
- Heavy mattress can be difficult to move alone
Full Essentia Mattress Review
- 1 What Kind of Mattresses are the Energie Opus and Classic 8?
- 2 How Firm are the Essentia Mattresses?
- 3 Do They Provide Motion Isolation?
- 4 Will They Become Hot While I’m Sleeping?
- 5 How Long Will the Essentia Classic 8 and Energie Opus Last?
- 6 Do They Smell When New?
- 7 How are the Mattress Layers Structured?
- 8 How Big Are the Mattresses and Will They Fit My Room?
- 9 Do I Need a Bed Foundation?
- 10 Can I use a Mattress Pad?
- 11 How do I Care for the Essentia Mattresses?
- 12 Is There a Comfort Guarantee?
- 13 What is the Warranty Offered by Essentia?
- 14 How Much Do The Essentia Classic 8 and Energie Opus Cost?
- 15 What are the Pros and Cons of the Energie Opus?
- 16 What are the Pros and Cons of the Classic 8?
- 17 Conclusion
What Kind of Mattresses are the Energie Opus and Classic 8?
The Energie Opus and Classic 8 are memory foam mattresses made from natural compounds that gives a truly luxurious feel, yet does not have the volatile organic compounds that off gas like other memory cell foam mattresses.
Other manufacturers make their memory foam from organic chemicals that create noxious fumes, even if you cannot smell them, which can have harmful effects over time. The Opus and Classic 8 eliminate this problem with a proprietary memory foam that is not only healthy, but it also addresses sleep issues with therapeutic designs.
How Firm are the Essentia Mattresses?
If you are a back sleeper that wants to feel encased in your bed with plush luxury, this is also a good option as it eliminates the numb arms that many back sleepers feel with a coil mattress.
The Classic 8 is a medium mattress that is optimized for back sleepers that want to have definite spinal support. There is enough give in the memory cell foam so it will contour to the curvature of the spine, yet it will not push on any points. This is a truly pressure point free mattress that any back sleeper will love.
Do They Provide Motion Isolation?
The Energie Opus and Classic 8 are designed to for complete motion isolation. The first layer of the mattress is made of a tight open memory cell foam that nearly eliminates motion transfer, such as when you move around throughout the night or get in or out of bed. or off of it.
This helps your partner from being disturbed throughout the night. The memory foam is made of natural polymers that stretch and reduce vibrations that can be felt throughout a traditional coil mattress. This is a truly positive feature for anybody that sleeps with a sleeper or someone that moves throughout the night.
Will They Become Hot While I’m Sleeping?
Essentia knows that most people like to remain at a consistent temperature throughout the night, and both the Classic 8 and Energie Opus are designed to help dissipate heat that often keeps people awake.
The proprietary natural memory foam allows for positive air flow from the sides and bottom of the mattresses through the sleep surface, so heat will not build up where you are sleeping.
The first layer of memory foam is a 3 inch open core that has millions of air pathways that pull cooler air through the mattresses and from the spots where you are sleeping.
The mattresses will stay cool enough for you to get a perfect night’s sleep, yet remain comfortable enough so you are not constantly reaching for covers and then taking them off.
How Long Will the Essentia Classic 8 and Energie Opus Last?
Most memory cell mattresses will last an average of 7 years, so Essentia’s Classic 8 and Energie Opus will last nearly triple the market average.
Do They Smell When New?
No. Essentia uses a natural latex from rubber trees that is designed to eliminate any smell or noxious fumes that often come with other memory cell foam mattresses.
The mattresses are given an out-gassing period at the factory in a negative pressure vacuum that leaves the mattresses free of any odors or chemicals that can be problematic for people with allergies, sensitive smell or other issues.
The mattresses are ready to be used when unpacked and does not need to be ventilated. This is a good upside of Essentia’s mattress that cannot be claimed by other manufacturers.
How are the Mattress Layers Structured?
- The bottom layer of the mattress is a dovetailed weave of cotton designed to ensure it will not slip and slide on the foundation.
- The next layer is a Dunlop latex that has seven different zones to create a progressive spinal feel for optimal alignment throughout the night. There are channels in the Dunlop layer that provide superior air flow.
- After this, a natural memory foam layer from the rubber tree, which is Essentia’s claim to fame, takes comfort to a new level as it provides a truly cradled feel with tons of air flow. The memory foam cores are fused together with a proprietary process that gives tremendous edge support so the entire mattress surface can be used and eliminates motion transfer vibrations.
- The mattress is wrapped in a Bucaneve cotton cover that prevents friction and wear on the mattress.
- The outside of the mattress is covered in a Zebrano certified organic cotton fabric that is Essentia’s signature.
Both the Classic 8 and Energie Opus are layered in the same manner, though the natural foam core is of a different firmness.
How Big Are the Mattresses and Will They Fit My Room?
Essentia offers six different mattress sizes:
Twin – 39” x 75”
Twin XL – 39” x 80”
Full – 54” x 75”
Queen – 60” x 80”
King – 76” x 80”
Cal King – 72” x 84”
The Energie Opus and Classic 8 are available in all six sizes and every mattress Essentia makes is 8 inches thick.
Do I Need a Bed Foundation?
Essentia recommends the use of one of their mattress foundations with the Energie Opus and Classic 8 to provide the complete therapeutic, ventilation and durability. The mattress may be laid the floor, given it is level or it can be laid on a box spring foundation in excellent condition. Regardless, however you decide to lay the mattress, the warranty will remain in place.
Can I use a Mattress Pad?
No. A mattress pad cannot be used with any Essentia mattress because it will hamper airflow through the mattress and the performance will be completely degraded. Likewise, the use of a mattress pad will negate any of the therapeutic qualities of the mattresses.
How do I Care for the Essentia Mattresses?
The Bucaneve cotton cover can be removed for quick cleaning in a washing machine.
If the mattress is soiled, use a small amount of anti-bacterial soap and lightly dab the area with warm water. Do not saturate the mattress with water and make sure it is well ventilated. Do not use bleach on the memory foam.
Is There a Comfort Guarantee?
Essentia offers a no-hassle 60-Day guarantee for a refund or exchange for mattresses bought through their website only (see our link below), but they charge a 9% fee on these two particular models (they charge 18% on more expensive ones).
It’s enough to call them at 1-888-764-4116 and they’ll send somebody to take care of it.
It is important to remember that for this comfort guarantee to be valid, the mattress must be kept in good condition and the original instructions, warranty and purchase papers must be available.
What is the Warranty Offered by Essentia?
Essentia offers a 20 year warranty on the Classic 8 and Energie Opus. This is a prorated warranty covering workmanship, structure, and materials. The warranty designates that the company will either repair or replace the mattress. The proration schedule is as follows:
• first through tenth year full warranty;
• eleventh year maximum 50% of MSRP;
• twelfth year maximum 48% of MSRP;
• thirteenth year maximum 45% of MSRP;
• fourteenth year maximum 40% of MSRP;
• fifteenth year 35% of MSRP;
• sixteenth to twentieth year maximum 25% of MSRP.
How Much Do The Essentia Classic 8 and Energie Opus Cost?
Essentia sells directly to the public rather than going through distributors and resellers, which invariably spike up prices without adding much value. The following are the prices listed on the website www.myessentia.com.
- Twin – $2868.00
- Twin XL – $2868.00
- Full – $3511.00
- Queen – $3687.00
- King – $4739.00
- Cal King – $4958.00
- Twin – $2255.00
- Twin XL – $2255.00
- Full – $2704.00
- Queen – $2779.00
- King – $3860.00
- Cal King – $4114.00
What are the Pros and Cons of the Energie Opus?
– Natural latex memory foam designed for targeted support and no fumes
– Soft-Medium for side and stomach sleepers
– Air flow provides a cool mattress
– 20 year warranty
– Cost is above average for memory foam mattresses
– Prorated warranty
– Mattress weighs a lot, can be difficult to move with one person
What are the Pros and Cons of the Classic 8?
– Natural latex memory foam designed for therapeutic support, no volatile organic compound outgassing, and sustainability
– Medium firmness is perfect for back sleepers
– Complete air flow for a cool mattress
– No motion transfer to wake up sleep partner
– 20 year warranty
– Cost is above average for memory foam mattresses
– Prorated warranty
– Heavy mattress can be difficult to move alone
These Essentia mattresses are without question of very high quality and deserve to be seriously considered by sleepers with a high degree of sensitivity toward the environment and favoring natural materials.
Howvere, although Essentia is getting a lot of attention from public figures like Dr. Oz, we believe that there are better alternatives that are less pretentious and definitely more accessible in terms of price for the average sleeper.
In particular, we think that the Saatva Mattress can provide a comparable (if not better) sleep experience for a fraction of the price, and you can try it out for 75 nights for free.
For other ideas, please have a look at out Best Mattress Guide, just updated to include the wave of new generation mattresses that promise to change the mattress world for good!