Full Boll & Branch Mattress Review
Boll & Branch was founded in 2013 and is best known for their fair-trade standards and eco-friendly natural materials.
While they started in the bedding and linens industry, the revealed their new mattress in 2018, quickly winning awards for best new mattress.
As a luxury product, this is not your out-of-the box mattress and it does come with a hefty price tag.
But you are paying for top quality, natural material and a bed that is hand-made when you order it.
As a hybrid bed, this Boll & Branch mattress offers multiple different support options within the five layers, designed to provide you with the ultimate night’s sleep.
What Type of Mattress is the Boll & Branch?
The Boll & Branch mattress is a hybrid mattress that combines multiple different layers of support, including spring coils.
The mattress boasts five core layers and is topped with organic cotton.
The use of naturally derived materials helps promote a cooler and better night’s sleep. They utilize two different innerspring coils in order to promote optimal air flow as well as provide additional spinal alignment support.
How Firm is the Boll & Branch Mattress?
This mattress is rated at a medium in terms of firmness.
If you are looking for a mattress that you will sink into, this is not the mattress for you.
In terms of comfort, this bed is best designed for side and back sleepers, offering superb spinal support.
The edges of this mattress include a thin ring of extra-stiff coils that provide increased stability around the edges.
How Many Layers Does It Have?
The Boll & Branch hybrid mattress has five unique core layers designed to provide an assortment of support and keep you cool throughout the night. The mattress is topped with organic cotton. The layers include:
- Wool and Poly Blend – humanely sourced wool is blended with a resilient poly material that helps the mattress retain its loftiness. This allows you to softly sink into the mattress each night but still have it bounce back and maintain its shape in the morning.
- Graphite-Infused Latex – Infused with the natural cooling agent graphite, this latex layer is designed to keep this mattress from ever sleeping hot.
- Natural Latex – Talalay latex comes naturally from trees and is converted to a layer within this mattress. As a natural latex, it is seven times more breathable.
- Micro-Coils – Traditional coils are designed to provide the most spinal alignment support. Coils are 28 percent cooler than foam and offer additional support. This layer of mini steel coils helps to prevent motion transfer, and, with over 2,000 coils, it provides individual support throughout the mattress.
- Foundational Coils – These strong coils help to enforce the edge of the bed and help to maintain the mattress shape throughout the life of the mattress. Each coil is individually wrapped and, around the edges they are reinforced so that you never feel as if you will roll off the edge.
Does it Sleep Hot?
This mattress does not sleep hot.
By using a combination of layers designed to promote cooling and air flow, this mattress helps provide a cooling sleep surface throughout the year.
How is Motion Transfer and Sinkage?
But through the use of hybrid layers, Boll & Branch has made what appears to be one of the best motion-stabilizing spring mattresses.
If your sleep partner moves around a lot in bed, chances are you will not be disturbed.
Does the Mattress Smell When New?
No. While many foam mattress and bed-in-a-box mattresses emit a chemical smell, that does not occur with a Boll & Branch mattress.
There is no foam and while all mattresses in the United States are mandated to meet flammability tests, Boll & Branch opted to avoid the use of chemical fire-retardants and use wool and latex as a natural fire barrier, meeting the standards without the chemical smell.
Does the Boll & Branch Mattress Require a Foundation?
Because the bed is a spring coil hybrid, it is best matched with a foundation to extend the life.
While Boll & Branch do offer a foundation (you’ll see the option when purchasing the mattress), they also suggest that sturdy platform beds, a traditional box spring, or alternative foundation are additional alternatives.
In order to comply with their limited warranty, you must use some sort of foundation.
What Type of Cover Does it Have?
The cover is not removable, so we suggest considering a premium mattress protector to keep it clean.
What is the Best Way to Care for the Boll & Branch Mattress?
Boll & Branch recommend that you rotate your mattress two to three weeks after you receive it, and then every two to three months thereafter.
This helps to extend the life of the mattress.
Should you spill something on the mattress, simply soak it up. If staining occurs, steam cleaning is the recommended method of cleaning.
Have a look at our mattress caring guide if you need help.
How Durable is the Boll & Branch Mattress?
As this is a new mattress, there is no long-term customer feedback on durability.
The estimated life span from Boll & Branch is 10 years, which makes sense considering the quality materials used.
They placed the mattress under simulated wear equivalent to 10 years and the mattress withstood weight and normal use, remaining in good condition.
Size and Shipping
The mattress sizes and weights are as follows:
- Twin: 74”L x 38″W x 13.5”D | 72 LBS
- Twin XL: 79”L x 38”W x 13.5”D | 88.5 LBS
- Full: 74”L x 54”W x 13.5”D | 98 LBS
- Queen: 79”L x 59”W x 13.5”D | 110 LBS
- King: 79”L x 75”W x 13.5”D | 139 LBS
- California King: 83”L x 72”W x 13.5”D | 141 LBS
Boll & Branch do not ship their mattresses but instead offer a white glove delivery service.
This is only available in the United States, excluding Hawaii and Alaska.
As each mattress is made-to-order, you have to consider at least 10 days before delivery.
When you place your order, you are given an estimated delivery window. During this window, the shipping carrier will contact you to set up delivery. An added bonus is that this shipping carrier will also pick up and remove your old mattress.
FedEx Ground Shipping is free, but you can opt for speedier delivery times for a small fee: $22 for two-day shipping and $30 for next business day.
100-Night Risk Free Sleep Trial
You can try the mattress for 3 months (100 nights), but you have to commit to sleep on it at least for 30 days. This ensures that you “break in” the layers and the mattress reaches it maximum level of comfort.
If after those 30 days (but before 100) you still don’t like it, they will come and pick it up and provide a full refund.
Boll & Branch Warranty
The mattress comes with a 10-year limited warranty and requires that the mattress be used with a foundation.
This warranty covers manufacturing defects.
How Much Does the Mattress Cost?
Given this is a hand-made mattress made with eco-friendly material, the price is rather expensive.
However, the superior material and care put into every mattress makes it worth the price if it is within your budget.
The current prices are as follows:
The Boll & Branch Mattress Review – Our Verdict
This Boll & Branch hybrid mattress offers 5 layers of quality material designed to provide a comfortable, cool, and supportive night’s sleep.
With very little motion transfer, despite being a spring coil bed, this makes it ideal for those looking for the extra support coils offer while still wanting to not wake up every time their partner moves in bed.
The white glove delivery service with old mattress pickup makes replacing your current mattress much easier.
While the cost is a bit higher than other mattresses out there, this mattress is hand-made to order with quality materials.
If you are a consumer that values ethical business practices and eco-friendly materials, Boll & Branch is the mattress for you.
Founder and Owner
Ted is the founder and owner of Mattress Guides and is an expert in his field. Ted believes that having the right mattress is key to getting a good night’s sleep and feeling well-rested in the morning.
Updated at September 17, 2020
- 1 What Type of Mattress is the Boll & Branch?
- 2 How Firm is the Boll & Branch Mattress?
- 3 How Many Layers Does It Have?
- 4 Does it Sleep Hot?
- 5 How is Motion Transfer and Sinkage?
- 6 Does the Mattress Smell When New?
- 7 Does the Boll & Branch Mattress Require a Foundation?
- 8 What Type of Cover Does it Have?
- 9 What is the Best Way to Care for the Boll & Branch Mattress?
- 10 How Durable is the Boll & Branch Mattress?
- 11 Size and Shipping
- 12 100-Night Risk Free Sleep Trial
- 13 Boll & Branch Warranty
- 14 How Much Does the Mattress Cost?
- 15 The Boll & Branch Mattress Review – Our Verdict