Signature Sleep Contour 8 Ratings
- Motion Isolation
The Signature Sleep Contour 8 provides great value for its very low price. Although inferior in quality to the more expensive alternatives, it's a great entry point into the category of new generation mattresses.
- Unbeatable price - only $201.22 here
- Very good motion isolation for its kind
- Above-average lifespan
- Very short warranty
- Slight off-gassing when unpacked
- Must use a foundation
Full Signature Sleep Contour 8 Mattress Review
- 1 What Kind of Mattress is the Signature Sleep Contour 8?
- 2 How Firm is the Contour 8?
- 3 Does it Provide Good Motion Isolation?
- 4 Does the Contour 8 Become Hot While I’m Sleeping?
- 5 How Long Can I Expect It to Last?
- 6 Will It Smell When Unpacked?
- 7 How are the Layers Structured?
- 8 What Sizes are Available and Will The Mattress Fit in My Room?
- 9 Does it Need A Bed Foundation?
- 10 Does it Need a Mattress Pad?
- 11 How Do I Care for the Contour 8 Mattress?
- 12 Unpacking Instructions
- 13 What kind of Warranty does Signature Sleep Offer?
- 14 How Much Does the Contour 8 Cost?
- 15 What are the Pros and Cons of the Contour 8?
What Kind of Mattress is the Signature Sleep Contour 8?
The Contour 8 is a coil spring mattress that combines the latest in spring technology and with high quality foam. The coils are individually wrapped and are designed to flex to the contours of your body. Inside each coil pack is a progressive tempered steel spring that rapidly adjusts to your body, but has a stiff portion that helps to prevent sagging as the mattress is used over the years.
How Firm is the Contour 8?
The Contour 8 is also great for stomach sleepers that want to use a pillow without feeling like the bed is pushing their neck off of the mattress. A good all around mattress, it works great for back sleepers that want a good combination of back support, but do not want to feel like they are sleeping on a concrete slab. This mattress is designed to work with any sleep position and provide therapeutic benefits to each one, thanks to it’s progressive coil spring and memory foam design.
Does it Provide Good Motion Isolation?
The Signature Sleep Contour 8 provides a level of motion isolation that exceeds all expectations for a spring coil mattress. If you sleep next to a light sleeper and every motion you make wakes them up, that will be a thing of the past with this mattress. Whether you are getting in or out of bed, or if you move around while sleeping, or for whatever reason motion transfer is an issue, this is the mattress that can solve it without blowing out your bank account.
The mattress eliminates motion transfer with its individually wrapped progressive spring coil design that keeps vibrations to a minimum and focuses your body weight on the maximum number of individual springs. There are thousands of springs in the Contour 8 and each is designed to work independently because they are suspended in memory cell foam that isolates every spring.
It should be noted that while the mattress will isolate motion, the use of linens on your bed will cause you to feel your partner’s motion, so it is worthwhile to purchase high quality linens that fit the mattress.
Does the Contour 8 Become Hot While I’m Sleeping?
The Contour uses a proprietary spring coil and memory foam design that draws air from the sides of the mattress. The heat generated by your body helps to draw the air in and out the top of the mattress. Heat builds up directly underneath your body, so the air must travel away from your body so it can dissipate the heat. The coil springs are wrapped in a breathable membrane and isolated with an open cell memory foam that allows air to transfer throughout the mattress.
So in short, no: it doesn’t heat up.
How Long Can I Expect It to Last?
Signature Sleep estimates that the Contour 8 will last for about 10 years, if it is used on a nightly basis. The mattress is backed by a 1 year limited warranty, but the company estimates the mattress will be serviceable for 10. The average mattress will be serviceable for about 7 years, so the Contour 8 will last approximately 40% longer than the market average.
Will It Smell When Unpacked?
Slightly. The Contour 8 comes packaged in a small cylindrical bag that keeps it from being soiled or damaged during delivery. The mattress is allowed a few days to air out at the factory before it is packaged for delivery. However, when the mattress arrives at your home, Signature Sleep recommends that you allow 24 to 48 hours for the mattress to fully air out. Put a fan in the room that draws air out of the room, open a window or keep your bedroom door cracked throughout the day and night. The smell is not obnoxious like many memory cell foam mattresses, but is more a smell of the packaging that is sealed against the elements. It will be completely gone in a few days.
How are the Layers Structured?
- The main layer of the Contour 8 is a seven inch section of individually encased progressive coil springs. This is where the mattress provides it’s therapeutic and motion isolation benefits to you.
- On top of the coil springs is a 1.25” high density memory foam that hugs your body for comfort and support.
- Next is a 12 Indentation Load Deflection (ILD) foam that is medium-soft and encased in a quilted pillow top, which provides an additional layer of comfort and support, while providing stiffening for the edges of the mattress.
- The internal layers of the mattress are encased in a fire retardant barrier, which meats the standards of Federal regulations.
- Finally, the mattress is covered in a polyester cotton blend jacquard that helps reduce friction and dissipates heat.
What Sizes are Available and Will The Mattress Fit in My Room?
The Contour 8 is offered four different mattress sizes available:
Twin – 39” x 75”
Full – 54” x 75”
Queen – 60” x 80”
King – 76” x 80”
The Contour 8 is 8 inches thick (duh!).
Does it Need A Bed Foundation?
Yes. Signature Sleep recommends that you use a quality foundation or platform bed to provide the proper support for the Contour 8. Without a quality foundation, the Contour 8 will not deliver it’s designed therapeutic and heat dissipation qualities, and the mattress will not last as long as advertised.
Likewise, failure to use the proper foundation will void the warranty. The mattress should never be placed directly on the floor as this will promote sagging and will hamper ventilation throughout the mattress.
Does it Need a Mattress Pad?
Signature Sleep recommends the use of a quality, thin mattress pad on top of the Contour 8. Ensure the mattress pad used allows for maximum breathability, while protecting the mattress from stains, soiling or fluid penetration that can void the warranty.
How Do I Care for the Contour 8 Mattress?
This short video illustrates the very easy unpacking process:
What kind of Warranty does Signature Sleep Offer?
Signature Sleep offers a 1 year limited warranty covering materials and manufacturing defects. If there is a defect in workmanship or the materials, the mattress will be replaced, repaired or substituted with materials of equal or greater quality. Any repair or replacement does not extend the warranty.
How Much Does the Contour 8 Cost?
If it wasn’t for the very disappointing warranty, this mattress would be a true diamond as it provides lots of good quality at a tiny price. In fact, after discount it can be purchased for just$201.22in its Queen size. It isn’t a mystery why it’s been on top of many best-seller lists for so much time.
If for whatever reason you think this is not the mattress for you, you can consider the Sleep Innovations SureTemp 12-Inch memory foam mattress, which is another bargain holding its own in comparison with much higher-priced luxury alternatives. And make sure you check out our actively maintained Mattress Guide to get other great ideas.
What are the Pros and Cons of the Contour 8?
- Amazing price – we can’t repeat this enough…
- Exceptional motion isolation for this kind of mattress
- Very good lifespan compared to its competitors
- 1 year limited warranty that is very unforgiving
- Will have a slight smell upon un-packing
- Must use a foundation