For instance, if you are purchasing a new mattress, you will need to makes sure that it is big enough to accommodate you comfortably when you lie down or move around on it, and that it completely fits in the space within your bed.
However, if it is just a swap out of an old mattress with a new one, you will need to make sure that the new mattress’s measurement is inline with the existing bed size, else you may end up with unseemly ledges or overhang.
So it is indispensable to consider the actual amount of available space for your new mattress.
Modern mattress models are usually made in the sizes Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, California King, and King.
Each of these mattress sizes is specially designed to meet a specific requirement, with factors such as size of the room, whether or not you share your bed, and how active of a sleeper you actually are- determining which size will best suit your requirements.
So here are the different dimensions that you must be aware of, and these are listed in size order starting smallest to biggest.
Twin Size (38″ x 75″)
Also known as a single mattress, twin size is the smallest mattress available, and is best suited for one adult. It is also a good choice for kids who have outgrown their cribs.
The width of a twin mattress is the minimal amount of space required for a an individual to lie comfortably each night.
The dimensions of the mattress are 38 inches wide by 75 inches long, and that is why it is not recommended for taller individuals, and people who sleep with a partner.
However, it can be the perfect size for a bunked, daybed, or guest bed, especially in smaller rooms as they do not take much space.
- The dimensions allow one adult or child to sleep comfortably with enough sleeping space.
- It easily fits into small sized rooms.
- You can create a king sized mattress by putting together two twin sized mattresses.
- It is quite economical as compared to other mattress sizes.
- It is too small for couples.
- It may not be long enough to accommodate taller individuals to sleep comfortably.
Twin XL Size (38″ x 80″)
It is the same width (38″) as a regular twin size mattress, but features an additional 5 inches length wise.
This extra long mattress is the most common type of size found in college dorms, and easily accommodates taller sleepers.
It is a good alternative for those residing in tight spaces.
The size is the same length as king or queen, in fact, two of them side by side equals one king.
- The 5 inches of additional length is a plus for taller individuals, and adults and teenagers that have limited space.
- Such mattresses fit comfortably in smaller rooms as they take up minimal space.
- It is designed for individuals who are not active sleepers.
- Such mattresses are recommended for growing teens looking to save money and space.
- The width of the mattress is not too suitable for couples.
- Availability and bedding options for these mattresses is usually limited, and may be arduous to find.
Full Size (53″ x 75″)
It is also sometimes referred to as double mattress, and is 15 inches wider than a twin mattress. However, it is only enough space for a single individual, and at all only 27 inches per person, full mattress is a tight fit for two people.
In addition to this, it is the same length as a twin size mattress, which can be too short for several individuals. However, this size is a good option for a child’s set-up or guest room mattress.
In addition to this, parents are increasingly selecting full size mattresses over twin size for their kids rooms, and they are also making this choice for younger kids to give themselves a more comfortable place to lie down or sit when reading to their children at tuck-in time, and to avert the child outgrowing the mattress too promptly.
Although some couples may find this option more viable, but the small cost difference between a Queen and a Full is not worth the inferior comfort, unless you really have a space constraint
- It is a good option for singular use.
- It is also a smart choice for guest rooms.
- It works well for active sleepers.
- Like other mattresses of the same length, this one will be best suited for someone under 6 feet.
- It is not a suitable size for two adults, as two adults sleeping on a full size mattress is equivalent to each one of them sleeping on a crib mattress.
Full XL Size (53″ x 80″)
A Full XL size mattress is the same width as the Full, however, it is 5 inches longer. Since it is slightly longer, it accommodates taller individuals more comfortably.
- It is a good option for tall individuals who do not require the capaciousness of a Queen, but enjoy something spacious than a Twin.
- It works well for active sleepers who require a bigger size.
- It is the most capacious standard mattress size for single users.
- This size of many models costs the same as the Queen, however, it still does not have enough width to properly accommodate couples.
Queen Size (60″ x 80″)
The 60 inches width is plenty for a single person to sleep at any angle they want, and if sharing, the 30 inches each is also ample for a sound night’s sleep without being really crammed.
Presently, it is the dominant size mattress in the US.
Since this size is 5 inches longer and 7 inches wider as compared to a Full size mattress, the added inches can make a lot of difference in comfort.
Today, it has become the most popular mattress size, especially for couples who do not desire a king size, in order to save their living space.
In addition to this, single sleepers may find they prefer ample space when snoozing, and the additional size of the Queen over any Full size mattress makes for the perfect fit.
- It is good for sleepers who like to spread out on the bed.
- It is a good choice for couples who wish to sleep closer together, or who desire more living space in their room.
- It is most cost effective, and floor space-friendly size available, thereby making it the most common mattress size for master bedrooms.
- Some mattresses are sold as “Queen/Full”, and may not ideally fit either size.
- At only 30 inches of width for each person, several people find that this size is still narrow to comfortably accommodate a couple.
King Size (76″ x 80″)
King size mattresses are skyrocketing in popularity as they are about 16 inches wider as compared to Queen size mattresses.
Such mattresses are specially designed for couples who desire spacious luxury.
Provided you have enough room space, this size is a recommended choice for sharing the mattress while not having to give up on the plush luxurious comfort.
To make sure that this size of mattress will fit perfectly into your room, you must consider accurate dimensions of your space. Also, consider how you are going to move the mattress into your room.
For instance, you will want to measure the stairwell, corridors, and doors that the mattress will need to fit through.
A king size mattress is certainly a bed worth paying the additional money for.
- It is an ideal choice for couples who desire maximum personal sleeping space.
- It is a good choice if you have pets or kids to share your bed.
- It is most capacious standard size, especially designed for two adults.
- It is a very large size mattress that may not fit easily into smaller rooms.
- Taller individuals may prefer the California King size mattress instead with its longer length.
- It is quite expensive, and 2 king pillows or 3 standard pillows are required with for this width.
California King Size (72″ x 84″)
It is sometimes referred to as the “Western King”, and is 12 inches wider as compared to a Queen mattress, and adds 4 inches in length as well.
It is a good option for tall individuals, whether or not they share the mattress. This is because it has the extra length to comfortably accommodate people over 6 feet.
When measuring your room for this type of mattress size, you must take into consideration the size of a nightstand, and also if you use one or two.
- This size may be a better choice for adults.
- It is roomy in width for a couple.
- It is the longest standard mattress available, which is ample for taller people.
- For a huge bedroom, this size can help fill the space, and give you ample of space to catch some restful sleep.
- It is too large to fit easily into smaller rooms.
- It requires 2 king pillows or 3 standard pillows for this width.
Custom Size (Varies)
The sizes mentioned above are standard American bedding sizes. Additionally, there are custom sizes that may be for an antique bed, specialty bed, or any other type of bed.
So whether you are seeking a mattress for a unique room, boat, or semi-truck, you can custom order mattresses in particular sizes to meet your personal preferences and requirements.
If you desire an extra thin bed to fit into a tight room, or a bed with the length of a California King and width of a Twin, you can custom order mattresses to get the ideal custom size.
So whether you are seeking a first bed for your kid, or a king size mattress so that you do not get kicked in the night by your sleep partner, you must consider this comprehensive guide before making a final purchase decision.
When you know which size is ideal for you, you can easily begin to shop for your new mattress. Have a look at our Best Mattress Guide if you need ideas!